November 12-16, 2014
Congratulations to the Winners of the Storytelling Contest in Response to the Trayvon Martin Tragedy and the Culture of Violence in Our Community.
Grand Prize Adult Winner
Karima Amin - Buffalo, NY
Grand Prize Youth Winner
Little Rock, AR
Festival And Conference Highlights
* PRE-FESTIVAL EVENT - The Griots’ Circle of Maryland welcomes NABS back HOME!! An
evening of Baltimore’s finest storytellers, entertainers and others welcoming us to
“The Center of The Universe! (Transportation provided from the hotel)
* BALTIMORE AFRICAN-AMERICAN TOUR - Hampton National Historic Site is the most northern,
southern slave plantation that the federal government owns located in the suburbs of Baltimore City.
Come see probably the most intact slave plantation in the country. You can walk through the
original slave quarters, overseer's house and big house and much more! ALSO, at the Great
Blacks in Wax Museum you will discover things about your history that you did not know. See
African American history and prominent African Americans from the past and present immortalized
in wax including our beloved Mother Mary Carter Smith!
*OPENING GALA & MOTHER MARY CARTER SMITH LOVE CIRCLE - A heart-warming tribute to
those who have brought us this far! A concert of honor, storytelling and song ending with our
cherished Mother Mary Carter Smith Love Circle!
* STORYTELLING CONCERTS - Featuring the finest musical, poetic and verbally gifted storytellers
on Earth! Nuff said…
* AKWABAA GATHERING - First-Time attendees, new members and old-timers gather to receive tips
on how to get the most out of their Festival & Conference experience and NABS!
* VILLAGE STORYTELLING CONCERT - Members of our fourteen affiliates share their unique
* YOUTH & ADULT LIARS’ CONTEST – Giving the youth and adults an opportunity to lie and be
rewarded for it! Always a popular, not-to-miss event!
* SPECIAL TRIBUTES – Keepers of The Culture, Inc. and The Griots’ Circle of Maryland, Inc. will
present special tributes to our Co-Founders Mama Linda Goss and Mother Mary Carter Smith
during the Circle of Elders’ Concert and the Spiritual Storytelling Concert.
* AFRICAN AMERICAN MARKETPLACE with African imports, Afro-centric wearable art, African
American literature, Black art, Karamu Corner, craft demonstrations and intriguing wares.
* SPECIAL AUCTION ITEMS – Selected items from Mother Mary Carter Smith’s estate!